Saturday, March 10, 2012

Miracle


Last weekend I had gone to the New York Rangers game against the Boston Bruins at MSG.  Rangers won of course.  But it got me thinking, what are some of the great hockey movies?  If you think about it there aren't that many hockey movies around.

There's "The Mighty Ducks," "Net Worth," "The Rocket," the classic and probably greatest hockey movie of all time "Slap Shot," starring the great Paul Newman, and I'm even tempted to go see the newly released "Goon," which centers in on hockey enforcers (the player that responds to dirty or violent plays by the opposition, or in better words, defends his teammates).  Though one of my favorite hockey movies is "Miracle."

Based on the infamous 1980 Olympic hockey game between the United States and the Soviets, it was later given the name the "Miracle on Ice."  The movie shows how not just a team, but an entire country came rallying together during the middle of the Cold War.  To the United States, this just wasn't a hockey game, it was a distraction from what was going on in the world....to Americans, that game meant everything.

Actor Kurt Russell gives an outstanding performace as head coach Herb Brooks, who took a bunch of college kids to play against the world's greatest players on the world's largest stage.

I wasn't even a though to my parents when this game happened, as it happened 9 years before I was born.  But I'm a huge hockey fan, and to not just relive the video clips but to see everything the team went through being portrayed on the big screen was magical, even if it wasn't the real deal.  This hockey game is one of, if not the greatest moment in sports history.

Do you believe in miracles?
YES!


-Katie-

1 comment:

  1. These types of movies are some of my favorites. i like the true-life story of a team overcoming an obstacle and in the end winning together, life Remember the Titans. I used to go to school by Lake Placid and after I saw this movie I saw the ice rink where the team won. It's pretty surreal to think the Winter Olympics was done in NY then and we were triumphant. Great movie everyone should watch it.

    -Dianna

    ReplyDelete