Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Town


I have been dying to see The Town for awhile now, I just never took the time to sit down and watch it.  Well I finally did, and I was everything I thought it would be and more.

The Town is one of the best crime movies I have seen since 2006's The Departed.  Taking place in Charlestown (a neighborhood in Boston), MA,  four friends rob banks.  Typical scenario I know, but it's worth the watch.

Without telling any spoilers, "The Town" is based on the novel "Prince of Thieves," by Chuck Hogan.  The movie tells the story of Claire, a bank manager (Rebecca Hall) who is taken hostage during a robbery. As she tries to recover from the trauma, she's comforted by Doug ( Ben Affleck), who it turns out was one of her kidnappers. Meanwhile, Doug's buddy Gem/James (Jeremy Renner) is worried that his new love interest might figure out Doug's true identity, while an ex-girlfriend (Blake Lively) continues to vie for his affections. 

Affleck has become a critically acclaimed filmmaker, winning an Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Original Screenplay for "Good Will Hunting" in 1997, which he cowrote with best friend Matt Damon.  Since then he has made his directorial debut on 2007's Gone Baby Gone and The Town, both being well-received and doing great at the box office.

"The Town" is the best crime thriller that I've seen since 2006's "The Departed."  Big robberies and showdowns...for those who haven't seen "The Town" yet, go see it!

-Katie

1 comment:

  1. I watched this movie because my boyfriend put it on the T.V. and I ended up loving it. The heists are great action and there is also a love story between Ben Affleck's character and Claire the banker. This is a thriller that has an underlying romantic theme. Catharine

    ReplyDelete